As a freelancer, if you have earned more than $400 in a year, you are required to file a Schedule C with your tax return to report your business income and expenses. The Schedule C form is used by sole proprietors to report their profits and losses for their business.

To file a Schedule C tax report as a freelancer, follow these steps:

  1. Gather your income and expense information for your freelance work. This includes any payments you received from clients, as well as any business expenses you incurred.
  2. Fill out the Schedule C form, which can be found on the IRS website or through tax software programs. The form will ask for information such as your name, address, and business name (if applicable), as well as your income and expenses for the year.
  3. Calculate your net profit or loss by subtracting your total expenses from your total income. This amount will be entered on your tax return.
  4. File your Schedule C with your tax return by the deadline, which is typically April 15th unless you file for an extension.
  5. Keep accurate records of your income and expenses throughout the year to make filing your taxes easier and more accurate.

It is always recommended to consult a tax professional or use tax software to ensure that you are correctly filing your Schedule C and taking advantage of all possible deductions and credits for your freelance work.